This page is no longer active

Da Blog has moved to MorganWick.com. Please update your bookmarks, links, and RSS readers.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Superpower Rankings and a Life Update

Can someone take over the Consensus Power Rankings for me? Not right away, maybe next year. I still like the concept and value the Consensus Rankings far more than any individual ranking when making out my picks of the week, but it's so time-consuming. Ideally, looking at and plugging in a ranking for a team doesn't take much time, but with nine rankings and 32 teams, I'm looking at nearly 300 rankings I have to add in, and some rankings are easier to do than others. Then I hand-reorder the rankings, and then comes the really long part: the little blurbs I stick next to each team. Those really take time.

Starting next week, I will probably move all the Power Rankings into an Excel file and just do the rankings on there from now on, unless someone else volunteers to take over by next Wednesday. And I'll probably ditch this experiment next year.

That I spend so much time on the consensus power rankings is a problem, considering I am back to being a college student. And especially since I'm in one class where three is the norm. Last week, after an incident that happened the Thursday before, I was removed from one of the two classes I started the year in. I spent the weekend fretting that I might be kicked out of school entirely. I wrote the following during that time:
I don't like the direction my life is heading, and I don't know what I can do to
stop it. I'm about to be kicked out of school, but that's only going to solve
the problem for them, not for me. This path has the chance to end with me in
jail. I could move on to another college, but without some changes the same
thing is probably going to happen. Especially since Mom says I would have to get
a job and basically have no fun whatsoever between school and work. And I don't
have much of a work ethic, which might be an even bigger problem than the
behavior stuff. I would like to write a lot, I'd like to write a novel about
what I have to go through, but I started thinking about it as a seinor in high
school and I've barely made it out of the first chapter. I could enter the
working world but I could get kicked out there too. And there's the work ethic
too. I could become a nonworking househusband but I'd be wasting my talents, I'm
too timid to meet any girls, and that would end badly too.

The things I spend my time working on are so trivial that I'm not sure I would want them even as jobs. That's the real reason I want to unload the Superpower Rankings: I'm not even enjoying them. It's too much work.

With the Patriots' demolition of the Cowboys, only the true diehards who keep saying "I won't drop the defending SB champs from #1 until they lose" (namely, Fox) keep the Patriots from being a unanimous No. 1. In other news, I think we need to call an intervention on Yahoo's Charles Robinson, and gently let him know that the team he keeps ranking at #14 is 0-3 in their last 3 and their two wins came on last-second field goals against teams he ranks 26th and 28th. And the Eagles are 2-0 in games where the home team wears bad throwbacks. I'm picking Jacksonville over Indianapolis to win the Lineal Title as my upset special only because I wasn't moved to pick any other real blockbuster upsets.

No comments: